4/16/2006

My Hair Care Regime

Charis said... Your SL's are so beautiful. They seem so shiny and healthy. Do you really just shampoo and go? I've been SL'd for almost 2 years, retightening myself, etc. I was considering using oils, hot oil treatments, etc., but your hair is making me reconsider some things. What is your hair care regime?
Much thanks! All of you have left such uplifting compliments!

I did a post back in February (my how time flies) about
Daily Care in the Beginning. But I guess I should give a current "state of the union" on what I actually do now.


(These are my freshly washed, unstyled Sisterlocks. I used Nature's Gate Herbal Shampoo and lightly blow dried my locks. I did not use the SL Moisturizer I've become fond of.)

It's worth noting:

  • I've had SLs for 4.9 years
  • My locks are small/micro and number about 320 +/-
  • Retighten myself
  • My hair is soft and fine
  • I have at least two different textures
Washing -- How Often?
I wash my hair once a week in the shower (sometimes twice). I have one of those removeable, snake armed shower heads. Although I don't have to, I still braid (but don't band) my hair into four sections because it's easier to manage.

Shampoos?
Right now I alternate between:

I wet my locks under the shower than spray each section with shampoo. When I feel like I need a really "good" shampoo, I'll unbraid each section one at a time and spray on more shampoo; squeezing, not rubbing. Even if I don't do this, I will unbraid each section to rinse -- VERY thoroughly.

Moisturizing
I have only recently begun using the Sisterlocks Moisturizer. Between the winter cold and the indoor heat, I felt like my locks needed a little something. I like the product, but I don't think I need to use it all the time. When I do, I apply it to my locks before they dry, as directed.

Drying
I gently squeeze my locks to get out excess water and then wrap them up in a Turbie Twist. You can get these at almost any major drug store chain or the Aquis brand at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I like to let my locks air dry, which they do dry rather quickly. (A benefit of not having thick hair?) Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I'll speed the process along with a light blow drying.

Styling
I could stop right here if I'm wearing my locks freestyle. But alas, now that I have styling options I use them: Soft Spikes, Caruso Steam Rollers or a regular old braid or twist out. I like having fun with my hair.

It's worth noting that my hair seems to shine more when I do a braid or twist out. I don't know why. I don't use any setting lotion other than water. Perhaps its just a trick of the light.

In between washes I'll spritz my locks with plain old water with a drop of my favorite scented oil, or diluted rose water for fragrance.

At Night
I also cover my locks at night with my L.B. Soc. I started off with the original (in black of course) but out grew it; so Denise sent me a really long one. If I outgrow that, I'll have locks "down to there". LOL.

Thanks to Ms. Brunsli, I ordered the Dread Sock. (Okay, I won't blame Brunsli for this one. I guess I'm a sucker for eye candy. Check out the instructional video on the site and you'll know what I mean.)

To be honest though, I don't like the Dread Sock as much as the L.B. Soc. The L.B. Soc is open on the bottom (Dread Sock completely encloses the locks) and I prefer to let my locks breathe. I want to protect without suffocating.

Happy Easter!

10 comments:

brunsli said...

Me? Encouraging someone you go shopping? Impossible!

I agree with Charis - your hair does look very shiny & healthy.

KDL said...

Leighann,

You are my lock idol. I love your hair in these pics. Freestyling is the way to go! I can't wait until my hair is half as long as yours.

Leighann said...

Ladies, you are too kind! Thank you. So y'all like the freestyle look, huhn? I don't do it much because the unevenness of my locks drives me mad. I'm okay for a day or two and then I "freak-out." Plus styling gives me a little more body and control. But perhaps that's all in my mind. It gets crowded in there. :-O

Anonymous said...

Leighann, you hair looks fab in the pics and in person! My friends and I were in New York this past weekend to see the Color Purple. The Laugh Factory was right across the street from our hotel and I can't tell you how delighted I was to see that you were appearing there. We thought you were great as a comedienne, your hair is gorgeous and so are you. So if you ever come to the Bay Area we are so there!!

Sister-in-Locks said...

Great tips. I have learned a lot from you.

Maryee said...

Man, I really want some of that Aveda Hair Detoxifier and shampoo!!! Thanks for sharing the tips!!!

Goodnapps said...

I may have to try some of your shampoo regimens. Love that bottom right pic. Very sexy.

Anonymous said...

This is the absolutely BEST sisterlock site I have seen. Your tips and insights are a big help. My only problem is I need to find someone that can help me 'groom' my locks. I have lint an a few of them and it is driving me crazy. Any suggestions for gettint lint out of my 2-yr old locks? Thanks. Peace.
Southerngirl.

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

There is a lot of great information here, that is still helping sisters in 2007. Thank you for the detailed information.

I like how when you make a reference to something you include the link, so all we have to do is double click on it to find out more about your reference.

Sis. RJQueen10

Advance-esthetic said...

look delicious! http://advance-esthetic.com/lymphatic-drainage-machines