4/21/2006

Locks in Balance

Tra said... Leighann, I wanted to know more about the unevenness of your locs. Do you mean that one side is longer than the other or do you mean that you have shorter locs through out your head in different places...sort of a layered look.

Both actually. I started with 5 - 7 inches of all natural hair; the front being shorter than the back. Also, my hair on the right side seems to grow slightly faster than the left. Not dramatically different, perhaps an 1/8 of an inch. The back grows faster than the front. I also seem to have one lock in the back kitchen area that is trying to grow "down to there" all by itself.

I didn't trim or even up my hair before getting my locks since my consultant is a big fan of the layered look. She believes layers give you more dimension, body and style. I agree in theory. I don't have thick hair and so I'll take all the body I can get. However I really do I like a balanced finished look. I can get that -- or the illusion of it -- when my hair is curled.

Now this picture is a bit of an exaggeration. My left shoulder is my handbag carrying shoulder, so I always flip most of my locks back behind me so as not to get them caught up in the bag straps. On top of that, I also seem to have a penchant for tilting my head to the side. I guess I'm trying to be cute. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Except for the fact that my hair grows faster on the left than the right, you just described my hair PERFECTLY. Right down to the speedy loc in the back kitchen area. :)

I'm not Sisterlocked (started with two-strand twists, maintain by latching) but I too started with "uneven" hair and I love it. The blunt-cut "Indian princess look" (as I call it) doesn't really appeal to me, but that's me.

YOUR hair looks great!

Anonymous said...

Which tool do you use when your hair gets that long. The one with the clip or the larger tool? I have had my SL only 16 months, I took the retightening class so I maintain my own hair. I have shoulder length SL's but was wondering what to use when it gets to a longer length?

still waters said...

Lei !!!

Your hair looks so good, a real inspiration !!!!!

One Love Still