5/21/2006

My Consultant: The Fabulous Khumura!

onyxcherry said... How did you choose a consultant to install your sisterlocks in the beginning? Did you research them or look at their previous work? There are so many talented consultants in the NYC area I do not know how to decide which one will give me the perfect set of sisterlocks.

I think the most important step in finding a consultant is to meet him or her; that's why the consultation is very important. It not only gives the consultant a chance to evaluate your hair and give you test locks, but for you to ask questions and get to know them as well.

When you have a number of consultants to choose from I think it really comes down to who you click with. You'll be spending a lot of time with that person so it's important that you like their work and feel comfortable with them.

When I got my locks in 2001 there were only three consultants in the NYC area and one was completely booked for months! I left a message with the second consultant; she never called me back. The third, who came highly recommended by the Home Office, was and is amazing!

I liked Khumura from our first phone conversation. She was pleasant, professional and patient! At our first meeting she answered all of my questions and told me what she envisioned for my hair type in Sisterlocks. She was open, warm, down to earth and no nonsense. We clicked! She showed me pictures of her work and I even got to meet and talk with one of her clients.

(PHOTO: Khumura and I hanging out last November at the Improv during one of my shows. She's a cutter as in she doesn't hesitate to pick up a pair of scissors to cut her locks down to a length she's happy with.) ADDENDUM: My bad. I should have noted that I achieved the spiral curls in this picture with Soft Spike Curlers. Spritz with water, set, sleep, unroll, don't finger curl out.)

To quote an earlier post:
"My Sisterlocks were put in by the fabulous Khumura Khumnetertauset! I can't say enough about this woman. She is very thorough, professional and a joy to know. I am proud to call her my consultant and my friend. Khumura didn't just put in my locks and retighten them, she monitored my soft and fine hair very closely in that first year, doing grooming and maintenance as necessary to avoid any major problems before they started. She laid a strong foundation so that I could enjoy the healthy and beautiful locks I have now. Khumura taught me how to retighten my hair and took my panicked phone calls when I thought I had "messed it up." She also made time to see me when I inadvertently joined a couple of locks. Her care and attentiveness to detail is unmatched."
I still go to Khumura once or twice a year, and I don't mind the travel. (When we met she lived in Brooklyn, New York and she's now in New Jersey.) She checks my locks to make sure they're "ok" and she does an occassional grooming (trimming lose hairs along the lock). We don't do a lot of that because my locks look fuller when they're ungroomed.

Recently, while retightening, I got a knot in my lock. I was horrified! The Fabulous Khumura was able to undo the knot in under a minute while we were standing and chatting on sidewalk! She never ceases to impress me!

Khumura is now based in New Jersey but travels. While she is no longer with the Sisterlocks company, she now runs Innovative Hair Care Solutions and can be reached at 862-452-1924.

UPDATED INFORMATION: Khumura can now be reached @ 917-650-5544.

15 comments:

Natural Kinks said...

Wonderful post Leighann, You're lucky to have such a wonderful consultant! Kudos to her.

Good clients help the consultant to do her very best as well.

Bless

Anonymous said...

Great pic of you two. Khamura locs are beautiful as is she. You are fortunate to have her in your hair corner.

Veta said...

When i met my consultant as well, Iverline, we clicked at first sight. She's based in DC and comes to New York often as she has plenty of clients here. It is very important to click with and make her understand what exactly you are looking for. Takes for the pictures.

Creyole said...

Curls, curls, curls, for the girls, girls, girls!

June 15th is soon approaching and we have approx 15 - 20 folks so far for the comedy show and you know more will join us at the last minute.

Ziggy said...

You and your counsultant are both beautiful women with beautiful locs. I met my consultant thru my mom and we clicked before I even knew she did her own hair. My consultation is Saturday i hope we end up with as good a relationship and friendship as you and your consultant have. come visit my blog sometime

Detra said...

wow Leighann, you both have beautiful locks, thanks for sharing! What did you roll your loc's with?

brunsli said...

I can't wait to meet you!!!

Only, I have hair anxiety, because I can't get cute spirals like yours. I hope you will like me anyway.

Decker said...

My consultant has stopped selling the soft spikes, and I'm having a hard time find where to purchase them. Can someone help me? Your hair is absolutely beautiful. I am a newbee. Started in Jan, 2009 but still no where near locked, but love my hair just the same.

Dee
Buffalo, NY

Leighann Lord said...

Hey Dee, I've always purchased my soft spikes online: http://www.softspikecurlers.com/

sisterbathead said...

How can we contact you consultant

Leighann Lord said...

Hey Sis,

email me at LeighannLord@gmail.com

Leighann Lord said...

Hey Sis, Khumura no longer does installations but she does do maintenance. Her email addy is khumurak@gmail.com.

sisterbathead said...

Thank you! I sent you an email. Is she in NJ because that is where I am located now?

It's bad said...

I'm trying to find a new salom to go to to getting my sisterocks done. I'm in nj. Please email let me know if you know of any places, I go to strandz but I don't want to go there anymore.

It's bad said...

I'm trying to find a new salom to go to to getting my sisterocks done. I'm in nj. Please email let me know if you know of any places, I go to strandz but I don't want to go there anymore.