4/24/2006

Welcome to My "Village"

Long time Lockitup members may recall back in September 2003 a fellow member shared her consultant's Village Analogy on the thickness (or thinness) of one's hair:

"... She explained my hair in terms of people: If a square section was parted in my hair that would represent a village. I have a lot of people (individual strands of hair) in my village. But all the people are skinny. So I have a lot of hair, but it's all thin. Thick thin hair."

I've always loved this! However, based on this concept I DON'T have a lot of people in my village (think very small midwestern town), and the people who live there are slim (think anorexic supermodels).

On the down side this means:

-- My locks don't have a lot of body.
-- After a retightening, a little scalp peeks through, even after 4 years.
-- At 320 +/-, I have less than the "average" number of locks, but if my consultant had made them any smaller they'd be the size of a strand of thread!

I would love to have more and bigger people in my village, but we play the hand we are dealt. I am also learning from my fellow bloggers who have the big hair I so desire, that big hair can come with big problems. So, I try to focus on the positive things about my little village:

-- Faster retightening
-- Faster hair drying
-- Ease of styling

Overall, I really do love my Sisterlocks. They have allowed me to do more with less, so to speak. They make my little village seem like an exclusive resort! ;-)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh . . . I recall the "village discussion". I also have MANY SKINNY people in my village. I long for "poof head" but that's not what I have. I never had a great loc puff cuz as nappy as my hair is, it just doesn't puff. My hair isn't straight at all though. It's very nappy and loc'd in 6 months. What's cool though is I can see how lovely your locs are and I know that there is beauty in our villages (we have the same type), just as there is beauty in others villages that have lots of "FULL" folks :).

Anonymous said...

I love this post and thank you for being so candid. I've always wondered why my hair seemed fuller in other areas. This was a great explanation. I have about 3 textures and hair densities throughout my scalp. The thickest and fullest areas are on top and in back. The sides by my temple are the thinnest, but that has never stopped me from doing updos!

Funlayo said...

Your blog has been one of the many sources of inspiration to me. Your openess and candor make your blog a 'must read' for anyone considering Sl's or in need of answers to some of the tricky issues that arise with locked hair.
I love this post. I totally get the village concept in regards to my hair. I also have a rather sparsley populated village with starving villagers dwelling therein. Like you I have made peace with my skinny locks and I am enjoying them. Getting Sl's has been the best hair decision I have made since going natural.
You can check out some of the early photos on my Blog

funmilocks.blogspot.com

Check the archives for my Sl Day 1 photos if you really want to laugh :)
I must say that having Sl's has allowed my hair to look considerably thicker. My hair to date looks thicker than it has ever been

Leighann said...

Ladies,

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your very supportive comments. This was a hard one to post; but I felt it was important.

Funmi, you did an amazing job documenting the early part of your journey. It takes a lot of fortitude to keep your "eyes on the prize" but it most certainly paid off. Your hair really filled in and looks great!

For those of us with small villages, patience is KEY!

I agree with you, with Sisterlocks, this is the fullest my hair has ever looked. I love them!

Goodnapps said...

You continue to amaze me Leighann. You are truly deserving of your Hair Diva - Lock Idol status.

KDL said...

Thank you for sharing this Leighann. Your village looks a lot like mine after retightening. People don't really notice it much, but I do and always have since getting my sisterlocks. Its just one of those things you grow to accept and learn to love.

Creyole said...

Leighann, thanks for posting I've got several friends I need to share this with. The little village is one of their main concerns and you really nailed it! Girl, you never cease to amaze me.

Anonymous said...

I've always described my hair as "thick but fine-stranded." I like your description better.

All the people in my village are skinny, but there are a lot of them. By contrast, my friend doesn't have a lot of people in her village, but the ones she has are fat. I think we cancel each other out. :)

Anonymous said...

Leighann, your locks appear lint-free. How do you do it, girl!

Anonymous said...

An excellent blog!

As one with a big village full of hefty people.... it does indeed come with its own set of problems.

When my hair was relaxed, I spent hours achieving the effect you achieve, only for it to puff up at the slightest hint of humidity!

Pluses and minuses come with both types, so we may as well each play to our positives.

By the way seeing your locks went a long way to pursuading me to SLs - yet another fan of your locks! - freestyle or styled either way your locks are truly amazing.

Anonymous said...

Did your hair get thinner from Sisterlocks? Your hair in two-strand twists before you received Sisterlocks didn't seem so thin. Thanks.

Leighann said...

Interesting question, but no my hair did not get thinnner because of SLs. It was always thin, perhaps more noticeable with the SL parts and after a fresh retightening.