3/16/2006

What Are You Going To Do With Your Hair?

ADDENDUM: The photo credit for this picture goes to my Husband who was riding the train with me. Call me a cynical New Yorker, but I can't just up and trust my digital camera to just any old random body.

I was on line at our local soul food take out joint picking up an order of cholesterol for a late lunch, early dinner when this question came up.

I was eyeing the baked fish – the “being good part of the meal” – and wondering why the lady wasn’t dishing it up so we could move on to the “being bad part of the meal:” collard greens and potato salad.

She was absent mindedly moving the fish around with the serving spoon, but steady looking at my head. Normally, I would have picked up on this, but hunger had lowered my defenses and her question too me off guard.

“What are you going to do with your hair?”

That was what she said out loud, but her tone and body language seemed to say: “What the hell are you doing to your hair? Are you gonna fix that?”

I thought, “What am I going to do with my hair? Love it. Style it. Take if for long walks in the park, tell it how much it means to me, and ask it where it’s been all my life.” I settled for the less sarcastic, “What?”

She said, “Aren’t those small braids? What are you going to do with them?”
“They’re dreadlocks?”
“So small?”
“Yes.”
“I thought they were braids.”
“No, they’re dreadlocks.”
“How do you get them so small?”
“They’re a type of lock called Sisterlocks and they’re done with a tool, that’s why their so small.”
“Oh, I thought they were braids and you were just gonna let them grow into locks.”
“Well, actually, you can do that too.”
“Oh.”

At this point, I’d say my food was getting cold, but I still didn’t have any. It felt as though answering her questions were a precondition to sustenance. Normally I wouldn’t have minded the inquiry. I can talk about natural hair and locks all day long, but I guess I was a bit put off by her confrontational tone and the fact that no one else on the LONG line behind me - including my husband - seemed particularly interested in a hair lesson.

If only I’d brought along my new Sisterlocks Journal! But then again, I know everybody in the place would have wanted to see it, and I’m not ready to share until I’ve finished reading it cover to cover.

As you can see in the photo, I did have it on the train today and when I reached my stop, I slipped it right back in the plastic.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am both surprised and not, by that womens' inquiry. Clearly se cared more about what was going on in your life than doing her job and serving up food. It's the human condition- nosiness. It wasn't the time or place to ask, but curiosity never have an appropriate one.

As expected, you represented a SL'd wearer correctly by answering her with dignity and pride. I agree with TRA, there's nothing wrong with asking, just have some respect and a little bit of understanding for what's different.

brunsli said...

...and your hair was her business because?

Natural Kinks said...

What type of hairstyle was she wearing?
I bet you she went right home and looked up Sisterlocks on the net. Some people just don't know how to react to things they don't understand.
Your responded very well.

Anonymous said...

You took the high road... I would've countered with, "Is my answer dependent on getting a HOT plate of food now?!" but that's just me being SALTY ... ROFL

Veronica
v_madison@hotmail.com

Goodnapps said...

LOL - I was wondering about the train photo also. Hi-five for keeping a cool head.

Leighann said...

Thanks for responding everybody. I really don't mind questions about my hair at all, but her tone and her timing were really off.

I kept my cool 'cause I wanted my food! :-)

And my Husband took the picture of me on the train. Can't be trusting strangers with the digital.

brunsli said...

Before I lend my camera to people to take a picture of me, I always assess whether or not I can run faster than them.

Creyole said...

Leighann - you have the best comebacks. I on the otherhand must work on thinking before I speak. LOL

Leighann said...

Brunsil, that's funny! Luckily I do run faster than my husband. Well, I guess not THAT fast. He did manage to catch my heart. :-)

LaChanda, thanks for the compliment. Trust me, some of the best comebacks are no comebacks at all. If I always said what I was thinking, I think I'd need a better health insurance plan.

BlaqKofi said...

Great, post Leighann, made me laugh out loud!

By the way, you're now an honorary member of the DFW Sisterlocks published in my latest post. You're in rare company, the first and only other out of state member is the diva Brunsli!

Anonymous said...

Were you are the Rib Shack by chance?