1/02/2006

How Damp is Damp? How Dry is Dry?

Anonymous Wrote:
"Your hair looks great!!!My sisterlocks are 7 months old and I look forward to eventually having enough length to curl. You mentioned that you set your hair overnight with it partially damp. I have a huge fear of developing mold in my locs and I understand that mold can develop when the hair is not allowed to completely dry in a reasonable amount of time (not sure how long that is). Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated."

Hello Anonymous,
This is a really good question and I’ll try to answer it as best I can. It’s the kind of thing that’s so much easier to demonstrate in person. Damp is a relative term, and depends on thickness of hair and drying time. So the phrase "partially damp" might be misleading.

My Sisterlocks air dry rather quickly, but I would never wash and set them too close to bed time. At least two hours is a comfortable cushion for me. I use a Turbie Towel to soak up the excess water. I’m also not adverse to using a blow dryer on a low setting to speed up the process. I won’t roll my hair until it’s almost dry to the touch.

On a scale of one to five -- five being dripping wet out of the shower and one being completely dry -- I will begin rolling my hair (and feel comfortable sleeping on it) when it’s at about a two.

More often than not, about midway through, I end up having to use a spray bottle of water to lightly spritz the locks I haven’t rolled yet.

I hope this helps. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this reply!!

Maryee said...

Hey Leighann,

I bought a three pack of turbi twists before I got my SL's I think. Anyway, Jen and I love using em'! They are great!!! Our hair doesn't dry as fast as yours. Well, except in the summertime!

Maryee

Ree-C said...

Your blogspot is very informative. Thanks. Will be back to visit. Cute pictures.

Unknown said...

For mold and build-up, a stylist recommended Nexxus' Aloe Rid or you could just rinse with apple cider vinegar...

Anonymous said...

my goodness, Leighann. Your locks are my future goal! I've had sisterlocks for ~3 weeks, but I aspire to have hair like yours. Keep up the good work. Your hair is inspiring

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

This is good information. Thank for sharing it. And it is still blessing people even today over one year later.

Sis. RJQueen10