12/30/2005

Soft Spike Update


The results are in. I love the small Soft Spike Curlers! The photo on the left is day one. The picture on the right is day six. Yes, the curls did fall, but it was a graceful fall as they had somewhere to fall from.

Conversely, the large Soft Spike Curlers just didn't do it for me. Nice look, but no where near as curly as the small curlers. I guess it really depends on the look you want and how long you want the curls to last.



The picture on the left is HOUR one. The photo on the right is hour FIVE. (Yes, I'm checking my watch in the photo!) If I'm going to set my hair, I'd like it to be worth the time and effort. Longer lasting curls make it worth it. If I wanted curls of such short duration I'd of used the Caruso Steam Rollers. Then I can't be mad when a 20 minute set falls in a few hours.

To be fair, it was a bit rainy and damp, which I'm sure didn't help. But it rained while I had the tighter curls as well and the slip was not as quick.

The Mathematics of Curls

I'm not a math person. College Calculus made me cry. So it's not always easy for me to see things in mathematical terms. I think I do, however, finally understand the mathematical relationship between hair and curlers. I'm sure this is painfully obvious for most of you, but here goes:

Small Curlers = Small (tight) Curls.

Reason: You get more revolutions of hair around the roller. More revolutions produces more curls. Therefore:

Large Curlers = Large (loose) Curls.

Reason: Fewer revolutions around the roller.

The amount of curls, tight or loose, can be increased by using smaller sections; i.e. 10 locks per roller instead of 20. This, of course, means you will use more curlers as well.

There are mitigating factors: thickness of hair, length of set, the use of setting aids etc. For the record, I used no setting aids other than water and time. I washed my hair, let it partially air dry, then rolled. I'll either sleep on the set or keep it in for several hours during the day, before I leave in the evening to go to work.

So thumbs up on the small Soft Spikes!!!


Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Naturalist1 said...

Thanks for the info. I plan to buy some today. Thanks alot.

Jena Evans said...

Very well stated. Thank you for the research you are sharing! Your hair looks marvelous! Have a happy happy new year...

Blessings!

brunsli said...

Thanks for the info!!

Do you wind the strands on top of each other, or around the roller like a stripe on a candy cane?

Love that new math!

Leighann said...

On top of each other (one or two revolutions) to secure the ends and then like candy cane.

Goodnapps said...

Hi Leighann,

I can't tell you enough how fabulous your hair looks! You've inspired me to order some spike curlers. Only God knows when I'll be using them.

Tanya

Leighann said...

Sooner than you think!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank's for the infor Leighann.
I'am not quite there yet with the length, but when that day come (and it will come), I will know what to buy and what to use.
sap
keep use educated

Anonymous said...

Hello Leighann,

Your hair looks great!!!My sisterlocks are 7 months old and I look forward to eventually having enough length to curl. You mentioned that you set your hair overnight with it partially damp. I have a huge fear of developing mold in my locs and I understand that mold can develop when the hair is not allowed to completely dry in a reasonable amount of time (not sure how long that is). Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Creyole said...

Well, I guess I'll be ordering myself the small spike curlers. Thanks for the data!!

Sister-in-Locks said...

I am loving those spike curls!!! You were my inspiration. No other curls have lasted this long.

What do you say about surprising us down here in Dallas with a impromptu stand up comedy show for our next gathering? :-)

It really would be nice but I guess we'll have to wait until we come to NY.

Naturally Free Hair Studio (678.467.1867) said...

You are truly donig this blog thing. Your blog is so interesting and descriptive. Thanks so much. I am not a the stage where I can rll yet but when I get there, I'll know for a tighter curl, I need the smaller curlers for more revolutions, right? ;-> You r hair is georgeous by the way.

Sabriya

Anonymous said...

okay i love your hair L, keep doing this style..it's lovely, i need to get me a pack.

peace
myte1

Anonymous said...

Any chance that you can post a photo of the large spikes vs the small ones? Thanks.

Jeri