1/02/2006

Dear Sisterlocks....

I'm a little young to be sitting in rocking chair dispensing wisdom a la Dear Abby, but I got an anonymous question from "C" the other day. Normally, I would have responsed directly, but she didn't leave me her e-mail address. So here goes:

Hi Leighann: I love your hair and seriously considering sister locks. Have you had any negative reactions? I'm dating a caucasian man who loves my hair straight, what did your husband say when you decided to set out on your sisterlock journey? Hope I'm not being to personal..Thanks-C

Hello C!

The only negative reaction I had was in the beginning when I first got my locks. My Mom was quite perturbed about being able to see so much of my scalp. I didn’t like that part much either but I had my eye on the prize, so to speak. She has come to love and marvel over my locks almost as much as I do.

As far as my husband is concerned, he was nothing but loving and supportive of my hair choices from day. He’s always just wanted me to be happy. I was natural (two strand twists) when he met me, so locks weren’t a big leap.

As a matter of fact, the week of my appointment I got a bad case of cold feet. I wanted to cancel my appointment and looked for every excuse in the book: It’s permanent... we don’t have the money.... He was having none of it. He said, "As much as you’ve talked about Sisterlocks (and I did, ad nauseum), you’re getting them." He lovingly shooed me out the door the morning of my appointment. I'm glad he did.

All I can say is do your research and do what’s right for you.

[Photo: In case you're wondering, this photo was taken this past Summer sitting outside of a Cracker Barrel Restaurant. I LOVE their dumplings!!] Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been checking out your blog and your hair is a wonderful example for how I want my hair to be. I have had my sisterlocks for about seven months, and so far, only the back is really "locked". My hair is two different textures, one half (back) is more coarse than the front. I have a few questions for you. First,have you dyed your hair/sisterlocks? If so, when, with what product, and how do you think it effected your hair? Second, do you use any products on your hair to give it a little moisture, if so, what exactly, and how much? Third, do you use the sisterlock line of products, and if so, what do you use? I guess I have one last question, has your hair ever been as long as it is now that you have sisterlocks, or has you hair grown quickly before in your life? I ask this because the main reason I got sisterlocks was because I wanted my hair to grow long and be natural, but I have not noticed any really significant growth yet, which may be due to the fact that my hair has never grown very long in my life. Thanks for answering my questions, and I look forward to getting all of your feedback.

Anonymous said...

I just left an anonymous comment, but I decided I should leave my email so that you can respond directly...My email is ileita@berkeley.edu. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I feel silly, but just to let you know, I just left two comments, and I wanted you to respond to my email, given in the second comment about the first comment with all of the questions in it(in the first comment I told you I had my sisterlocks for seven months). Sorry, this whole blogging thing is new to me! I hope its clear. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the response! I'm very excited to start my journey!!!!
C-

Leighann said...

Thanks Coco!