1/07/2007

Sisters in Sisterlocks

One of the things I love about Sisterlocks is the wonderful community of women (Locked Hair Blog Exchange & LockItUp Yahoo Group) whom I have met because of them. And in 2006 I met quite a few:

Locks in the City
In June 2006 I had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with the sisters from Dallas/Fort Worth and several other cities who visited the Big Apple. (You can see posts and photos of that visit here: Welcome To New York, Khamit Kinks and The Laugh Factory.)


OB (The Original Blogger) Meets UB (The Ultimate Blogger)
It was an honor and a privilege to finally meet Brunsli. Not only is she the consumate blogger, but she is a very smart, sweet, and savvy lady. We hung out for hours in NYC eating, talking, shopping, strolling, getting manicures. I feel a little guilty about introducing her to Ricky's, but it is the Hair & Body Product Mecca! I couldn't in all good conscience NOT take her. I soooo enjoyed our time together and look forward to the next!

Divas and Dumplings in Dallas
In August 2006 a last minute visit to Dallas to do a private corporate show gave me a chance to hook up with my girl, Creyole! We went to eat at my unabashed favorite: The Cracker Barrel, and yes, I had the dumplings!

Honestly, since the trip was so last minute I didn't expect to see anybody, but Creyole surprised me by having BlaqKofi join us! A double treat! This was my first time to meet BlaqKofi since she had not made the trip to New York with the DFW crew in June.

I really can't say enough about how wonderful it was to sit and talk with these amazing women. I love their blogs, but they themselves are even more beautiful and charming fun in person. They made my trip!

Fancy Meeting You Here!
In September 2006 while passing through the airport in Turks & Caicos I saw an airline gate agent with a lovely set of small locks. When I complimented her she said, "They're Sisterlocks! You too, right?" Yea! And that's how I met, Ms. R.

Her thick and bountiful head of two year old Sisterlocks were done in Jamaica. She commutes to have them done and complained that she was in dire need of a retightening, but I sure couldn't tell. Her Hubby, who also works for the airline, was kind enough to take our photo.


My Sisters in Sigma
In November 2006 I had a long overdue lunch with some of my Sorors (Sigma Gamma Rho) at The Harlem Tea Room. It's hard with careers, families, and geography but we try to see each other a few times a year. It's important to keep up with the people who "knew you when." Sometimes I can't believe how long I've known them. I tease them and say I've got start getting some younger friends. Funny thing is, they are all a "little" younger than me. I served as their (very young) Grad Adivsor when they pledged. Grown women that they are, they'll always be "my girls." Now while the picture doesn't show it, I'm ticked to report that we're all sporting natural hair!

Back in the Apple Again
In December 2006, thanks to Michelle, we had a small get together in NYC at Negril Village. The food and conversation were wonderful! Pictured are: Juanita, Yours Truly, Michelle, Karen, Diane and Lynda. Very generously, Lynda brought a goody bag of hair accessories to share with us!

I so enjoy meeting fellow Sisterlocks wearers, and especially those considering SLs. (Veronica, have you decided yet? I know it's the best thing I've ever done for my hair.:-) But because of the active on line community it seems like actually meeting people in person is just a formality. We already "know" each other. And the camaraderie is instant and sincere. Dr. Cornwell says Sisterlocks in not just a hairstyle, it's a lifetstyle; one that includes the warm, supportive and beautiful people I have happily come to know. I'm looking forward to meeting even more of you in 2007!

Happy New Year!

14 comments:

brunsli said...

Leighann!

It was so lovely to finally meet you too! Ricky's was quite the place -- I haven't seen anything like it before or since.

You're so good at spreading isterlock information and inspiring people with your locks.

Happy New Year!

still waters said...

Hey Lei

Happy New Year, I could not agree with you more meeting each other is just a formality (I do feel like we know each other (:. It still would be nice to meet you live and in living colour!!!! maybe 07 is the year(:

one love still

Cluizel said...

Who knew Sisterlocks who lead me to meet so many great women...and I thought I was just getting my hair did. (lol...j/k)

It was great meeting you too! If I hadn't had such a ghetto fabulous (ugh) gel hair style disaster in June I would have met you then. :( Thanks goodness I didn't take any pictures of that hair... :)

OnyxCherry said...

You guys look like you had a great time. I live in the Brooklyn and I would love to have the chance to meet all of you. Keep me in the loop the next time you plan a get together.

BlaqKofi said...

What a wonderful world of loc'dom we all belong to. Meeting you, Leighann was truly one of my 2006 highlights! I can't wait until we're all together at once! What a time that will be. Until then - abundant, natural blessings!

Goodnapps said...

I couldn't agree more. Chatting and meeting with fellow members of the loc community has been awesome awesome awesome!

Maryee said...

Say it girl!!! Can't wait to meet you!! Soon and very soon!!! Thanks for being the inspiration you are to soooo many brothers and sistahs!!! Blessings to you Leighann!

Abena Abena said...

I really like this post, what a great way to show the Sisterhood between the Sisterlock Community.

Creyole said...

I'll say it again, you're my Oprah of the Sisterlocks world! Such a inspiration nad real treat meeting and hanging out with you.

I just can't wait to be where you are in your journey...been keeping those scissors out of my head too. So, I estimate about another three years to have that wonderful carefree length.

Happy New Year back at ya!

Anonymous said...

You really played catch up with this post didn't you girlfriend (lol)? I love it!

How cool is it that you and all of your sorors present were natural? Gotta love that.

Love the shot of you in black the hair and the top are too flyy!

Brenda said...

I'll always remember 2006 since it was the year I discovered the wonderful on-line world of fellow lock wearers that I hadn't known existed. It was fantastic to have met you and so many others like us and to have become great friends even with those I haven't "met." Here's to more of the same in '07

CloudNine said...

I have been so impressed by the outpouring of love and support and who knew a "hair style" could do all that?

Have a great 2007!

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Just a heads-up! I still could not find the that "Bobby Stick" :(
Oh well, my B-Day is coming up, and look forward to staying home and washing my hair!

Take care!

Prolific Jas: Chasing Hip Hop said...

i was just surfing the net for info on how other women are handling their hair- and found your site.
what a coinky dink! We're sorhors! =)
Anyhow... I saw the pic w/ you and the sorhors and thought i'd say hello.

Jas