8/24/2011

Glam-Locks

Neil deGrasse Tyson & Leighann Lord @ The Natl. Arts Club

I recently attended a black tie affair at The National Arts Club so I wanted to glam it up a bit.  I rolled my Sisterlocks on Soft Spikes. I use both the long and the short ones interchangeably. To achieve this style, I pulled my hair back into a loose, comfortable ponytail, sectioned my hair, lightly spritzed it with water and rolled my hair up to the ponytail holder, not to the scalp. I used, approximately 15 Soft Spikes.

I do this for two reasons. First, my hair is long (lower back) and I just don’t have the patience to roll all of it. Second, and most important, not rolling all the way to my scalp puts less pressure on my roots. It’s also infinitely more comfortable to sleep in. The results aren't too bad if I say so myself. :-)

9 comments:

Devon said...

This is a good idea, I will try anything:) I struggle with rolling my hair which is about the same length as yours. I end up with a million rollers and then can't sleep. Also gravity and the weight of my thick hair ends up pulling the curls out anyway. Just discovered your blogs. Good info here. I will continue to follow

Leighann Lord said...

Thanks for following. I too have had that full head of curlers and can't sleep thing happen. Cute hair and puffy eyes is not a good look for me. Maintaining long lasting curls does get more challenging the longer your locks get. I find the absolute simplest thing to do is a braid out. (Spritz my locks with water, make four or five big braids, go to sleep, get up, unbraid, be cute. :-)

Gerrylocs said...

your hair looks dense and thick compared to your initial posts..maybe there's hope for my not-so-thick-mane too

Leighann Lord said...

Hi Gerry,

Thank you for the compliment, but looks can be deceiving. My hair is soft and fine. They've thickened up a bit with Sisterlocks, but I've also learned to work it with what I've got using various styling techniques. BTW, your locks look fabulous.

Anonymous said...

F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!! thanks for keeping us posted with ur beautiful locs and loc knowledge...and know I'm NOT alone in thanking you and saying we appreciate you.

Leighann Lord said...

Thanks so much for the kind words. There were so many people who helped me in my journey that I just try to do the same when I can. I'm glad it helps.

Leighann Lord said...

Thanks so much for the kind words. There were so many people who helped me in my journey that I just try to do the same when I can. I'm glad it helps.

R. Katya said...

Nice, very nice! :)
How was it, meeting Neil Tyson?
Is he a nice guy?

Take Care~
R. Katya *click name 4 my Blog*

Leighann Lord said...

Katya,

Neil is an amazing guy. Smart, funny and very down to earth. I enjoy working with him. I'm one of the guest co-hosts with him on his radio show/podcast: StarTalk Radio. http://startalkradio.net/