2/19/2006

Locks In the Act? Sort of

Maryee said...

"Hey Leighann, I was wondering, do you do any standup on your hair? Do you get to "school" folks on Sisterlocks? If so, what do you say and how does the crowd respond? Just curious. Maryee :-)"

Maryee, that's an interesting question so I thought I'd answer it as a post.

I don't talk about my Sisterlocks experience specifically, although on occasion I will mention in passing that I have locks. This has prompted a few fellow SL wearers in the audience to come and talk to me after a show. I also get Sisters who have never seen locks so small. Sisterlocks are still a tiny, but growing, percentage of the dread lock community. Generally, people only get the concept of locks in the broad strokes.

I do however have talk about the drama we all seem to go through when it comes to hair: "People with short hair want long hair; people curly hair want straight hair, people with no hair want Rogaine." Again, in the big picture, everybody's got hair issues and it's in that commonality that I've found the most comedy.

Thanks for asking such a great question!

5 comments:

brunsli said...

I'm so bummed that you don't have any shows during the time I'll be on the East Coast next month.

I like your comedian face on the botton right of the collage. I make that face too!

Maryee said...

Thanks for posting your answer to my question. Can't wait to see you "live"!!

Maryee

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Nicole Rachea installed my Sisterlocks and I'm so in love. My grid defines the work of a true artist. My head will forever be in the care of Nicole's hands. She has redifined the definition of natural hair.