12/04/2005

The South Is A Changin'


On Friday, I had show at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina. What’s a road trip without a visit to the Cracker Barrel? I don’t drink, smoke or do drugs, but I can’t resist those Cracker Barrel dumplings. When I saw the sign off I85 there was no question I was stopping.

As I was talking with one female employee about how to get back onto the highway, a second employee came up and began unabashedly staring at my locks. The look on her face was awestruck. She said, "Your hair is beautiful!" The first lady agreed with her and asked, "Are they twists?" Before I could answer the second woman said, "No, they’re locks."

I was flabbergasted. I guess I’ve heard so much about how the South is still all about weaves and perms, I just didn’t expect to get this kind of positive attention.

When the young lady told me she was trying to start locks, the conversation was on, and the dumplings would have to wait! I love talking about natural hair. I don’t get on my soapbox like I used to, but when I find a kindred spirit I just can’t help myself. She has a TWA (teenie weenie afro) but has been trying to achieve locks as small as mine by palm rolling, but they kept breaking. I gave her a quick overview of Sisterlocks, Braidlocks, natural hair, and wrote down several websites for her to check out.

I was embarrassed when she thought I was a hair expert. I’m not. I just have a deep and abiding love for natural hair and how difficult it is for Sisters to make the choice to embrace the natural. When they make those first tentative steps, they should have all the info and support they need. To that end I told her to feel free to e-mail me if she had questions.

In short, I was quite pleased that natural hair and locks are making inroads in the South, one head at a time.

12 comments:

Natural Kinks said...

I know what you mean I could talk about locks and natural hair all day long!
The word needs to get out about this type of freedom!
Keep it moving girl!

Creyole said...

See, we need you to come on down to Dallas, TX and spread some of that Love ont his end. During our SL Brunch this past weekend a few of us discussed having a local "Outreach Natural Hair" group. If we pull that off in Dallas I'll be too excited!!! Keep spreading the joy my sista!

Jena Evans said...

You tell it...

Bless you and your ministry of helps. Hope you did finally get the dumplings!

Blessings!

jen-

Anonymous said...

The south is not just about perms and weaves. Not only do I find your "the south is a'changing" offensive, but also the assumption that people in the south are uneducated about natural hair/locks, etc. Do you also wonder if we have running water and electricity? cable? Your locks are beautiful, but your ignorance, if you will, in thinking that the south is only good for dumplings/soul food...that the south is still behind in other things is unattractive. In fact anytime anyone makes a speculation about a whole group of people based on a few (i.e.sterotyping), you make yourself look very silly. There are PLENTY of natural heads in the south and I see more weave up north than the south. One or two uninformed people do not represent the south any more than one or two black people represent all African-Americans. Free your mind sista.

Leighann said...

I seriously debated about deleting this comment. No I didn't. :-)

I figured I'd keep it to remind myself that not everyone knows I'm a comedian. So occasionally I try to be funny in print.

I don't have much hope that this truly brave person will read my response but I respond none the less. It's so nice to know that people feel strongly enough to sign their name to their comments. That's conviction for ya. I'm so glad I know how anonymous really feels.

Honestly though: If I have offended anyone, particularly Sir/Madam Anonymous please know that it was not my intention, just a lovely side bonus.

I defend the Cracker Barrel comments. There are Cracker Barrels all over, not just the South believe it or not. And I go in for dumplings whenever I find them. I am totally pro dumpling.

As far as the number of natural heads in the South vs. the North... well... Gee where would I get that idea? I guess I'm just making up the conversations I've had with my Southern Sisters who bemoan not having the natural hair resources and support that say New York might. Is this the entire South? No, of course not. But this is totally my fault for not giving the precise coordinates of where I was so I could be geographically and politically correct. Is exit 51 off I 85 South close enough?

Good night and good luck.

Jena Evans said...

I think I love ya!

I thought to myself... "Ain't she a comedian?" WT( )... am I trippin' on something... I felt the discomfort, and I will pray for peace in the middle South...

Stay blessed! Keep supporting those dumplin's!

jen-

Leighann said...

Thanks Jen.
I appreciate the support!

Leighann

BlaqKofi said...

Leighann, people are becoming educated about natural hair all over. And I do my part every chance I get. I am a living, breathing, walking Sisterlock and natural hair advertisement. Like you, if the interest is there, I can talk about Sisterlocks and transitioning all day!

Keep spreading the laughter and the love.

And remember everyone...different doesn't mean deficit, it just means different.

BlaqKofi

BlaqKofi said...

Leighann, natural hair education is happening all over - some places faster than others. I do my part every chance I get. I am a living, breathing, walking Sisterlocks and natural hair advocate. Like you, if I find someone interested, I can talk about natural hair all day. Because I am so elated with this natural freedom, quite naturally the desire is to share the happiness with others.

Keep spreading the knowledge and the laughter and sportin' those beautiful locks.

And remember everyone, different doesn't mean deficit, it simply means different.

Stay strong, stay focused, stay natural.

BlaqKofi

Creyole said...

Leighann, I guess I too am partially to blame since you and I have had several discussions about natural hair in the south. And, since I was born and raised in the south (Louisiana & Texas) I can honestly say I don't see nearly as many natural heads as I do when visiting the east, midwest or northern states. But, everyone has there own view and I laughed after rading the post. It was really funny!

Stay up sister girl!

Maryee said...

Leighann,

That was funny!!! I'm glad you left the anonymous post. Girl, if the South is Texas, then I must say that we yet still have a ways to go concerning natural hair. I've lived all over and I know the trouble sisters and brothers have with natural hair. When I see little boys with perms, I'm thinking' "what video have your parents been watchin' on BET?"

Maryee

Maryee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.