11/23/2005

Off to Khamit Kinks


Not a day goes by when it's not all about the hair (/:-) so after the Golden Girls DVD signing, I treated myself to a visit to Khamit Kinks! This was my first time going to a salon in the four years I've been locked, and it was interesting.

The shop is beautiful. I was startled to see that almost everyone (customers and staff) had locks!!! Men and women! Times have truly changed. I remember when natural hair care meant you just wanted a press and curl; and braids done by anyone but your Mom was big time.

I was pleasantly surprised when the lady at the front desk knew immediately that I had Sisterlocks and complimented me on them. She had very small traditional locks, but said she wished hers looked like mine. We chatted for a bit and she couldn't believe that I maintain my locks myself and find the retightening process relaxing.

Now I thought I was just "checking out" the salon, but when I explained what I wanted -- a wash and a trim -- I was able to get those services done on the spot. This is where it gets interesting. I think I was a little more low maintenance then they're used to.

Sesh was going to wash and condition my hair. "No. No conditioning," I said. "My hair is really soft and the locks around the hair line will slip."
"After four years?" she said.
"Yes."
When she took a closer look she concurred and suggested a leave in conditioner on the ends. "Okay." There's a first time for everything.

I must confess I'd forgotten how good it feels to have someone else do your hair. I've never been the salon type, but I may have to consider treating myself to this a little more often. The scalp massage was magic. The shampoo smelled wonderful and familiar. She used Nature's Gate Herbal Shampoo, one of my favorites!

When they put me under the dryer, some of my locks didn't make it. They sort of hung past the bowl and dripped on the floor. Major points to Sesh, who noticed immediately and had me sit back while she put my locks into the bowl. Thankfully, the air from the dryer never got burning hot. It seemed to consistently be just the right temperature, and my locks dried very quickly, like they normally do. A lot of folks with traditionals who were under the dryer when I sat down were still there when I got up.

Nene, who has a beautiful set of two year old Sisterlocks, did a light trim. I was tired of the uneven/scraggly look of my locks in the back when I freestyled. I thought they looked horribly uneven. Nene politely told me it was all in my mind, but trimmed a couple anyway. She was ready to do an all out cut, but I truly wasn't ready for that! (These are the few ends she cut. Not much at all.)


She asked if wanted my scalp oiled.
"No."
"Styled?"
"No."
"A light oil on the ends for sheen?"
"Hmm...... well...... okay."
She gently rubbed a green tea scented oil on the lower half of my locks. I didn't like the smell of at first, but it grew on me when I left the shop.
"Do you oil your scalp?"
"No."
"Really?"
"Really."
Then she said, "If what you've been doing for four years has been working, keep doing it."

I don't know if it was the light conditioner, sitting under the dryer or the cut, but I think my locks are looking really great now. I'm leaning toward the cut because I'm really digging the neatness of it. I guess that appeals to the Felix Unger in me. (Am I showing my age with The Odd Couple reference? Oh well. :-)

4 comments:

Creyole said...

Ok, after reading this wonderful experience I would love to run right out and get myself one of these hair services. Oh well, too bad I live in Dallas, we have nothing of the sort! Reading your experience was just as enjoyable! Thanks again!

brunsli said...

Leighann,

It's awesome that you're blogging more often! I loved reading your description of your salon experience, and of course, the Golden Girls too.

Brunsli

BlaqKofi said...

Leighann, so glad to read your post. They are always so interesting. Your salon post sounds awesome and a reinforcement that SL'ers don't need a lot of excess done to our hair. I'm coming up on 6 months in two weeks and my experience continues to be awesome. LaChanda and I are taking the retightening class together on December 9. I'm a little anxious about whether or not I'll be able to do my own hair. Your testimony helps, however and I believe that retightening my own hair will be one more step of progress along my journey. Continued success and blessings.

BlaqKofi

Anonymous said...

Girl, I feel ya! I broke down and went to the salon last Wednesday. I loved having Grace wash my hair and I also got some color. I'm more of a redhead now. I love it! So, the salon IS still a good thing. I feel my hand releasing more cash to the salon in the future:)!